I am delighted to announce that the Allendale Borough Council last night passed a resolution that urges businesses in Allendale to no longer use or sell the nastiest rat poisons, which can also kill a pet or wild animal that eats a poisoned rodent.
These so-called anticoagulant rat poisons are contained in big black plastic boxes that can be seen all over town. A member of the Northern Highlands Environmental Club and I counted 14 of them outside one sprawling commercial building earlier this week.
The resolution also urges property owners to stop purchasing or using anticoagulant rodenticides on their properties in Allendale.
Allendale is likely the first municipality in the state to do so.
In addition, the Allendale Board of Health has promised to crack down
on the perennially open and overflowing Dumpsters so attractive to rats.
On behalf of the many local groups and residents that supported this resolution, I’d like to thank the Borough Council for passing this resolution, with a special nod to Council Members Jim Strauch and Steve Sasso for their help and support.
The problem extends far beyond Allendale, but this is an important first step toward passing statewide legislation.
Rodenticides and other yard poisons like pesticides kill far more than their intended targets.
We urge neighboring towns to pass similar resolutions with the ultimate goal of passing statewide legislation banning the rat poisons most lethal to raptors and pets.